Thursday, January 13, 2011

There's always room for one more.

So I have to admit it's quite strange to see an abundance of snow photographs from home while I sit here tired from days in the sun.  There's a breeze outside my window that reminds me it's open.  As much as I don't want to sound like I'm rubbing it in, it's difficult to imagine what winter feels like when I'm thousands of miles away from it.  Was a quick transition to summer.  Maybe I still feel like I'm on vacation?

The students arrive on Saturday so this week's been full of last minute preparation.  I find it ironic that I was pummeled with a snow storm right before my own departure as well.  It's like a right of passage into Cape Town.  I send good travel vibes to those coming our way.


This week has been full of revelations as I continue to expand my social network here and get acquainted.  But I must first of all comment on my mini-bus taxi experience.  Okay, not such a big deal.  But I will call myself out on the fact that my first few days here I was a bit scared.  Yesterday, I was as ready as I'd ever be.  Didn't phase me nearly as much as the degree to which I was warned it would.  There's lots of honking and yelling to people on the sidewalks to potential taxi riders, but mainly it's a business.  The more people who ride in the taxis, the more money the driver makes.  Hence the snuggling with strangers that occurs almost every time you ride one.  I'll quote Greta here, "There's always room for one more".  I've never seen so many people in one vehicle at a time.  The driver's partner in crime who tries to get people to ride leave himself such little room that he's awkwardly crouching, neck/head cranked against the ceiling of the mini-bus.  Four or five to seats that sit 3.  But in a way, it's all fine.  Everyone's just riding for the same purpose, to get to their destination.  No one's gonna get a way with robbing you, there's no room to move to do so and there's too many people on the bus that would object.  People take care of each other here in Cape Town.

Just got me thinking about how much more open I feel here than in the States.  I will be the first to admit that I wouldn't dare hop on a city bus in CT.  They're too sketchy.  Yet here, many white South Africans, according to word of mouth, say the same about the mini-bus taxis.  But I find it a fascinating part of the local culture that I just wouldn't get from staying in my neat little bubble of personal car travel.  I find myself with mixed feelings about the rental car I'll have in a few weeks for the rest of my time here.  It's a comfort zone that I'm used to at home that part of me wants to step out of.  

I'm tired of the bubble.  My eyes are opened, still cautious, but infinitely less afraid.  I find myself wondering what's coming my way here yet remember it's all an open runway.  I'll turn when I chose but for now I'm just standing there, arms open, eyes above, feeling the wind almost force me forward.  Turning back is difficult when the universe so badly wishes you to walk ahead.  

Bring it on.

No comments: