Monday, January 3, 2011

Shifts...

Okay, so change of plans.  It rained until about 6pm here today, so we decided to do something inside.  We went to see a South African movie today, Spud, and yes, I know, it's a potato.  Interesting film, had nothing to do with the vegetable.  Great to see a film produced here, even if it was mostly about white people.

I found myself surprised by the fact that the majority of the movies playing were American.  I didn't come to South Africa to see an American movie!  All of the music played around here is what we hear in the US.  That makes me sad in a way, it's like the US has conquered the world.  And I have to ask, what makes us so great?

Tonight was my first experience salsa dancing.  I have officially decided that I'm on a mission to learn the style before I leave here.  Two hours of watching people salsa was enough inspiration; I must do it.  Oh, and heading out with locals was incredibly - I've been here three days and I'm already making fast friends.

Time for sleep, up early to head into "town" (Cape Town center) to catch some festival activity.  More soon.  

No comments: