Sunday, March 13, 2011

Dunes.


Just to prove that I'm really here, not copying and pasting random Cape Town photos from Flikr and claiming to be abroad in South Africa.  I'm here, and existing where the mountains and the sea come together.

Explored Gordon's Bay today, on the way home from attending a braai in Betty's Bay.  Drove on officially the most beautiful road I've ever felt beneath my tires, coasting the coastline.

It's days like this where I wonder if there's a more beautiful place in the world.  And yet I know there is, differently beautiful countries and oceans and all.

I cannot help but think about the meaning behind it all, the symbols of ocean meeting mountain, waves crashing and building, eroding, shifting something beautiful.  And yet the mountain stands firm, only slightly shifted by the gentle, sometimes fierce, touches of the sea.  Like tickles to feet.

There were dunes, mountains of dunes.  Over time, the land took care of the dunes to establish them as mountain-like features of a landscape so dreamy.  Took me a minute to realize they were made of sand, not rock, hidden under bushes.  What would they feel like to walk on?  Would they mold with my feet, shift under my weight?   A mountain of sand shifts little with two footsteps.  A mountain of rock holds me on its shoulders.

Reconnecting to the earth, it's a start.  Thank you synapses, for firing today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that a real picture, or did you use Photoshop? Also, are those whale spouts I see in the background?

Unknown said...

Can you tell that Scott doesn't have his own account?